Saturday, July 19, 2008

t.u.l.i.p.

since i have finally labeled my emotional state as "weary" i decided that this weekend i would spend time resting, but not in my normal way. usually i just lay around on the weekends in my apartment. but today i wanted to do things that i really enjoy, and get out of my apartment. it's a different kind of rest. the kind where my body might be tired at the end of the day, but my heart will feel glad.

first i went to chickfila because i have no food...and chickfila is yummy. but the fun part was that i took oliver twist with me and read it while i sat there. i can't read in super quiet places. the silence is really distracting to me.

then i decided to go to borders, because i like books. browsing without buying is even fun to me sometimes. sometimes. but the other day i came up with a brilliant idea. i want to get a "coffee table book" for every cool place/country i visit. something with cool photography. so as of right now, i need one for hawaii, texas, and mexico. those kinds of books are usually expensive, but one time i found a great photography book called "america 24/7" at borders in the clearance section.

and today, i struck gold.

i wanted one for mexico, right. instead, they had one on sale for $5, with pictures that are JUST of mexico city...the exact city i visited. perfect. now when i can't remember what the streets and the buildings looked like, when memory starts to fade...i can look at this book!

i'm also starting to grasp that i took a trip to the biggest city in the world. that's kind of a big deal. 20 million people. it really is a cool place, and i wish people would take mexico more seriously. i'll admit i've never paid much attention to it before, since i grew up in texas. i guess i always kind of thought of it as an extension of texas. there's some mexican influence in texas, you know. but it's nowhere near the same. it's really, really cool. art, culture, music...i'm a fan of mexico now.

anyway.

then i bought my niece a present because i'm going to see her in a couple weeks. i'm jealous that my other sisters are getting to know her more than i am, so i'm on a quest to win her affection with material possessions.

thinking about seeing my family and my precious niece...yep. that's rest.

and then i went to my favorite christian bookstore, the only one that doesn't make me cringe...logos. i must own their entire theology wall. i went there to find a book i've been wanting to read...a case for covenental baptism. it's the one area of reformed theology i haven't explored much. my mind is made up about the rest. i grew up southern baptist, and obviously they're not fans of infant baptism. but i never looked into it myself. not REALLY. not an extensive study. not to the point where i knew the logical arguments on both sides so i could make an informed decision. so now i'm going to.

"rest" does not usually involve spending money for me. i also like to go to radnor lake, or walk around taking pictures, or listen to music, or play my guitar. mmm, yeah. i should do that later. but today that's just how it worked out.

one and a half more days until i have to go back to work.

ugh.

No comments: