Thursday, August 27, 2009

something for everyone.

i was thinking about my favorite poem today.

by yeats:

HAD I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
.

sigh. that's so lovely.

and on the, uhm, other end of the literature spectrum, there is this:

"What's a cuter image than three little kittens that have lost their mittens? Well, brace yourself: Kittens don't wear mittens. I'm going to let that sink in. And why don't they wear mittens? Because they'd just get caught on their razor-sharp claws. Personally I prefer the Three Blind Mice, because 1) they're already handicapped when the song starts - as a result, no doubt, of some anti-human scheme that blew up in their faces, and 2) they're further maimed in the course of the rhyme."

"Buddhism: 'Hey, why don't we all put on robes and sit in a rock garden and just, like, be aware?'"

"The concentrated Old Testament:

Adam and Eve/The Fall of Man: Mankind is inherently sinful. Also inherently trusting of women and snakes. Fight these instincts!

Sodom and Gomorrah: If you wonder what God thinks about sodomy, just ask a Sodomite. Oh, that's right - you can't, because God destroyed them all with fire and brimstone.

Jonah swallowed by a whale: If you don't run away from your responsibilities and never tell a lie, one day you'll become a real boy.

The New Testament:

Spoiler alert! Jesus is the salvation of all mankind."

- stephen colbert

No comments: