Tuesday, October 14, 2008

the perfect amount of senile.

i already posted once today, but something wonderful happened. i don't want to forget any of the details before tomorrow. it's my blog, whatever!

my grandma called me tonight.

"you know, me and your grandpa have plenty to do. we keep busy visiting with people, or watching all the politics on tv. you know, sometimes we keep talking after we turn the tv off, and before you know it, it's 3am! 68 years, and we aren't sick of each other yet!"

that's right. 68 years of marraige. my grandparents. they're living most people's dream.

and then, in the same train of thought...

"have you found any boyfriends you like yet?"

ahh, yes. i suspect that for the next few years she'll be asking me that out of curiosity, but after that i'll begin to detect a hint of desperation in her voice.

two things my grandma told me that i don't need to know:
1) her neighbor got a new roof.
2) my cousin's baby is taking the breast milk really well. he's gaining weight.

after my grandma hung up the phone, my grandpa called me. he called to ask if i wanted a dvd of my grandma's 90th birthday party that we had in may. but he wanted to make sure i have a dvd player. (note: they don't own a computer, but my grandpa could probably make and burn dvds better than any fool you know.) i said yes, please send me one...even though he already did.

also, my sister emily is doing some sort of family history project in school, so they sent her all kinds of things to help her with it. (she didn't tell me that, though. she just told me they were sending her all these old letters and pictures, and i was afraid they were having that "we're going to die soon, please enjoy these artifacts from our life after we're gone" feeling.)

they sent her some copies of paintings that my great-grandpa made when he was younger. my mind has been blown completely apart by them. the dates on them range from 1893 to 1902. i've never met this man. i had no idea we had anyone with artistic ability in our family. you know, other than me. (TOTALLY kidding!)

i do like to paint, actually. i'm not a painter. i'm not just saying that. it's a hobby i picked up in the last year of my life. i do really simple things, because i thought it would be fun if all the artwork around my apartment is stuff that i make myself. anyway, a few weeks ago i came up with something to make for my bedroom. in my mind, i thought of all these swirly things that i could do...then i saw these paintings, and i think i can try to incorporate parts of it into the one i'm going to make, because he did a simliar kind of thing! i can't wait.




1 comment:

I am Mexico. said...

Food for thought...these sketches would make bitchin' tattoos.