Monday, March 22, 2010

purge.

i'm still going through my old music.

when i was in high school i went through a phase where i would talk about how terrible boys are.

even though inside i loved them, loved them, loved them.

anyway. it was a phase. it happened.

now i don't think boys are terrible. and i for sure don't talk about them being jerks. i know some good men. this one guy i knew in college used to say "it's true that all guys are jerks, but all girls are crazy."

fair. fair enough.

a band i'm ashamed to admit i used to listen to wrote this little tune about that very topic.



i remember listening to that over and over thinking "is this true?" it turns out that it IS. they grow up oh, so well. but that doesn't mean they'll ask you out.

it's so interesting to listen to this music NOW. now that i know "where i ended up" in my mid- (to late, holy crap!) twenties.. i had so many questions about what life and relationships would look like at this point. i remember everything i wondered about. everything i felt.

oh, little allison.

you should have snuck out of the house at least once. i can't believe you got grounded for not doing laundry, and that was the extent of your rebellion.

this is not thought-provoking or laughable, i just wanted to drive home the point that i listened to A LOT of random christian artists you've NEVER HEARD OF.



and this is not embarrassing, or funny. this is my favorite band. always will be. don't care if you laugh. i would pee my pants if i could see them live again. a month or so ago i passed up the opportunity to see ben sollee, to see a different show with friends. that would never, ever happen if the orange county supertones were playing. i would go by myself. i would pay any price. i would stay up late.

i feel 16 again watching this video.



timeless.

1 comment:

hootenannie said...

Allison, I am not even joking: in 2006, at 3am on a street corner in downtown Seattle, after the bars closed down and everyone was lined up for hot dogs at the street meat stand, there was a gorgeous man playing his guitar. He was playing a cover of Patty Griffin's "Goodbye," which is one of my favorite songs, and I was just bold/tipsy enough to walk over and start singing harmonies with him.

Like, it was a MOMENT.

And it turned out that he was one of the brothers from Jake.

I told him that one day I wanted to live in Nashville, and he told me that I should. And then, I did.