Monday, March 23, 2009

for surreal, yo.

sometimes, i experience something that just makes me ask

is this really happening to me right now? is this my life?

- i had to leave my classroom to make some copies so i had to take some students with me, so the other teacher wasn't left with a room full of crazy children. it's the law. one of the kids i grabbed to go with me had just been playing with dress-up clothes. so i went on a walk through the school with a little girl wearing ladybug wings.

- there were two dead birds found on the playground. there were two dead birds found on the playground. do any of you have to worry about that at your jobs?

- a kid in my class is going through a spitting phase. he also likes to lick furniture.

- i grew up southern baptist, and i'm doing lent for the first time ever. it's not even a presbyterian thing. but i'm reading "the easter story" a lot. somehow for my entire life i have failed to notice these verses in mark 14:

51 A young man, wearing nothing but a linen garment, was following Jesus. When they seized him, 52 he fled naked, leaving his garment behind.

and then the story picks right back up. no clear transition to the death and resurrection of Jesus.

i think i'm doing lent wrong. because every time i read that, i just pause and wonder...what? why is that there? when you think of Christ being betrayed, handed over to vicious men, willingly giving Himself up for your sin...do you picture a naked guy running around in the background? i'm missing something. it's in Scripture for a reason.

- i haven't told anyone my birthday since middle school. my 25th birthday is on sunday.

twenty.

five.

twenty-five.

"the only age restrictions after this point are to get into retirement communities." - a close friend's thoughts about his 25th birthday

this is happening. this is my life.

4 comments:

I am Mexico. said...

Just a little comment on those Mark verses...I've read commentaries that say that that the young man who ran off naked is Mark himself. It's remembering himself in the story, and that's why it doesn't really flow well. It's actually kinda helpful from a historic point of view. Kinda shows his street cred if you will.

Also, HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY!!!

I'm proud of you for coming out of the birthday closet, if you will. (I'm assuming that you will).

Deborah Barnett said...

Hilarious. I'm going to go read Mark now.

Happy early birthday! I turn *cough*46*cough tomorrow. So... cry me a river.

:o)

i'mthechief said...

that's helpful. i bet if i had the ESV study Bible, it would clue me in on things like that. i was considering buying it for my birthday, but i'm not feeling like spending the money. or parting with my Bible that i've had for 13 years.

I am Mexico. said...

I'm just gonna go ahead and urge you to...part with your Bible of 13 YEARS!! That's my vote at least.