Tuesday, March 10, 2009

cherokee people, cherokee pride

it's been a long time since i've explained where the name of my blog comes from. without context, it can sound pretty arrogant.

it's only partially arrogant. (is that possible?)

paul makes a statement in the Bible about how he's the worst sinner ever, and i really relate to that. i don't think anyone would label me as mean or terrible. but really, i am. my Pastor says sometimes that we'd be horrified if we knew what went on in his head. i often think "i bet i've got you beat."

here's the verse before i get a case of the rambles:

"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst." - 1 Timothy 1:15

some translations have it as "of whom I am the chief." i'm really wondering why that's how i always remember the verse, because that's not what my translation says.

the other reason for my blog title...

i'm an indian. a cherokee indian. it's true. i've got crazy indian pride. mostly because i think it's funny to claim the heritage (have you seen me?), but also because i think indians are so cool. they know all kinds of crazy tricks.

a few years ago my grandma bought us all a membership in a cherokee tribe. i've got the card in my wallet if you don't believe me, or if you ever want to see it. it doesn't get me into any clubs or anything, but i wave it every chance i get.

and indians have chiefs, so i figure...this is my blog. i'm the chief.

i was going to look up some cherokee facts, but i thought a video would spice things up a bit. here's one of a killing dance. they really let loose with the hatchets at the end.



this one is offensive to me and my people:

4 comments:

I am Mexico. said...

What is this "hatchet" crap, you so-called Indian. Tomahawks! They've got tomahawks!

Deborah Barnett said...

ok, I am Mexico... that was funny.

My family has Navaho in our heritage. I grew up visiting my grandmother in Albuquerque, NM every summer... and we'd always make a trip to Taos Pueblos and explore the Indian culture there. So cool...

i'mthechief said...

oh my gosh, it worked! i was seriously hoping that would pull you out of the woodwork, because i remembered you had tomahawks carved into your hair when you were young...right? hahaha. HELLO! um, CALL ME. thanks. i'm visiting the griffins this week...it could be a three-for-one...

and that is really cool about you being a navaho. i'd be willing to bet you're more legit than i am.

i'mthechief said...

"carved" isnt the right word. but i'm leaving it.