Thursday, November 6, 2008

why did socrates apologize?

i want to marry the evening i had last night. i want to live with it forever and ever.

someone at church told me about this show at the basement, and i went. because i love new music, and i love live music even more. it makes me feel so fantastic. it makes me feel like myself.

ben sollee.

my mind exploded.

this guy is fantastic. he plays a cello, he sings, and it's good. that's a simple description. i don't know how to explain it any better. there are days when my lexicon is exiguous, and this is one of them. because he's too good for words.

just listen.

one interesting part of the show was that he had some art draped behind him. he said he wants to make an effort to make the visual arts part of his music, and all the art he hangs up during this tour will be auctioned off at the end. and the money will be given to charity. two great ideas!

and i also realized something about myself. the person i knew at the show made some comment about how the second act had "overt Christian themes" in their songs, and i just nodded. i didn't have an opinion, because i didn't listen to the words. and i realized...i never listen to the words if i don't know the artist's music. the sound of their voices becomes part of the music to me, and i don't pay attention to the words. i just hear it all together. i become really focused on all the sounds. once i own an album, and spend time singing along (because i definately love to do that too...), THEN i hear the words at a show. of course that's not always true, sometimes some great lyrics will catch my attention. but that's not the norm for me.

am i the only one like that? i hope not. because it's really a fun way to experience music for the first time.

i didn't even mind going to bed at midnight. it was so worth it. and i managed to dress myself and feed myself this morning without any problems. that's a good day.

No comments: