Friday, December 2, 2011

from the two books i am reading.


"Most of us, I think, shy away from this kind of cultivation of acquaintances. We have our circle of friends, to whom we are devoted. Acquaintances we keep at arm's length...The purpose of making an acquaintance, for most of us, is to evaluate whether we want to turn that person into a friend; we don't feel we have the time or the energy to maintain meaningful contact with everyone. Horchow is quite different. The people he puts in his diary or on his computer are acquaintances - people he might run into only once a year or once every few years - and he doesn't shy away from the obligation that that connection requires. He has mastered what sociologists call the 'weak tie,' a friendly yet casual social connection. More than that, he's happy with the weak tie. After I met Horchow, I felt slightly frustrated. I wanted to know him better, but I wondered whether I would ever have the chance. I don't think he shared the same frustration with me. I think he's someone who sees value and pleasure in a casual meeting."

"'Like Romans!' she mocked. 'Behave like Romans! And what does a Roman ever get for being brave - and pretending it is fine - and noble - to give up everything - and make-believe it is glorious - glorious to suffer - and die - for Rome! For Rome! I hate Rome! Look what Rome has done to you - and all of us! Why can't we live in peace? The Roman Empire - Bah! What is the Roman Empire? A great swarm of slaves! I don't mean slaves like Tertia and Demetrius; I mean slaves like you and me - all our lives bowing and scraping and flattering; our legions looting and murdering - and for what? To make Rome the capital of the world, they say! But why should the whole world be ruled by a lunatic like old Tiberius and a drunken bully like Gaius? I hate Rome! I hate it all!'"

No comments: