Monday, April 26, 2010

i have failed them.



i was too tired and unaware (and drenched, and in pain) to check my time right after the half, but they e-mailed it to me today. we came in five whole minutes UNDER my goal. i thought we might have finished 10 minutes over the limit, and been disqualified. because of my limping, and our brief stop at the "shelter" to avoid a tornado. so considering those two factors, i'm really pleased with how we kept up our pace. we walked faster than we ever did in training, and didn't even slow down.

enough about that. it's old news. moving on.

i'm such a bad teacher.

we sing songs all the time. i usually ask them what they want to sing at circle time (sounds precious, doesn't it...), and then we sing it. today i decided to throw it right back at them and see if they could sing it by themselves. here is how that went.

Five Little Monkeys

the actual lyrics:

five little monkeys, jumping on a bed
one fell off and bumped his head
mama called the doctor and the doctor said
"no more monkeys jumping on the bed!"

etc.

me: okay, you sing it! how does it go?
boy: two monkeys. jump, jump, jump!
me: ok. we'll start with two. how many are there now?
boy: two monkeys. jumping, two monkeys!

The Bumblebee Song

the actual lyrics:

i'm bringing home a baby bumblebee
won't my mommy be so proud of me
i'm bringing home a baby bumblebee
ouch! it stung me!
i'm squishing up a baby bumblebee...
ew! it's all over me!
i'm wiping off a baby bumblebee...
etc.

me: the bumblebee song! good choice. how does that one go?
children: *silence*
me: i'm...bringing...home...
girl: i want my baby bumblebee. *sad face*
me: *confusion*

Rain, Rain, Go Away

me: take it away, kids.
boy: rain, go away, GO AWAY! NO! GO AWAY!

well.

no blood was shed today. there's that, at least.

No comments: