Tuesday, February 17, 2009

my grandma keeps it real.

i got a few laughs from family members today.

one of my sisters sent me a valentine's present. the card is so funny because she could have sent it to me 10 years ago, and it would be exactly the same.

"Happy Valentine's Day! Here is a cookie. Plus your CD. Can't wait to hang out in D.C.! I love you!"

oh yeah! i forgot to tell "you." i'm taking a week off in march. looking for a job, AND going to visit my best friend in d.c. and it just so happens that my sister emily is spending part of her spring break there at the same time. a true coincidence. we did not plan that in advance.

ANYWAY.

my grandma called me.

i love talking to my grandma, ok. we don't talk much, but it's always good.

but i don't always answer when she calls, because she talks for a long time. and sometimes about nothing. she's 90. it's allowed. i just have to be able to focus.

today she called, and i answered even though i couldn't focus. i was talking to people online, watching tv, and planning how i was going to wrap a shoebox in wrapping paper without it looking tacky...because i have a weird life.

she started talking about birds, and my mind started drifting. the phrase that brought me back:

"is anything new going on? are you...getting married?"

there was something else. i missed something. something key to understanding...

WHAT?

that's why i have to be able to focus.

but one thing i did hear:

"do you have neighbors? do you talk to your neighbors?"

"yes, a couple of them. not a lot, but we talk when we see each other."

"well...you're kind of a loner, then!"

this was one time i couldn't contain my laughter. usually i can hide it. i don't know why i thought that was funny. it's kind of a sad thing to say. it was just really, really unexpected. spoken in her sweet, 90-year-old grandmotherly voice. the same voice that says "i'm going to send you money, just so you can have some fun!"

that voice called me a loner.

No comments: