Wednesday, February 25, 2009

don't go.

i'm almost 25, and i think my mental acuity is deterioriating.

wait, no. i just used the word "acuity" in a sentence. i'm good.

BUT

i think i used to be funnier.

facebook had a brain fart (unlike me!) and imported all my old blog posts from myspace. what? i haven't logged into that thing in a year or so.

so i logged in to read them again...

i think i used to be funnier.

i have selected two excerpts to post here today. a flashback of sorts. trust me. it's way better than what i've been wanting to blog about all day, which was something infuriating that happened at work.

september 9, 2006
"me and c.s. lewis. basically the same."

i think me and c.s. lewis have a lot in common. he has a way with words, you know. sometimes when i'm reading his books, i have to stop every paragraph just to marvel at what was just read. it really is incredible that anyone could be so eloquent and intelligent.

and then there's me. my lexicon is so exiguous. (that's a joke i made up, and i hope you get it). but really. today someone asked me if i liked the movie "the notebook", (no), and asked me what it was about. i said "it's about this couple. they fall in love, then they break up, but they get back together, and then they're old, and they die."

i dare you to come up with a better summary of that movie.


and another short-ish one...

october 24, 2006
"alzheimer's in reverse"

alzheimer's. the disease where people lose memories. it's tragic. my great grandma had it.

and now, apparently, my dad does. but in reverse. he creates memories.

one of my sisters is taking archery and is learning how to shoot a gun. yeah, she's pretty cool. but my dad claims he once taught ME how to handle a gun. the thing is, i've never touched one. i don't know where this memory came from. it never happened. but i'm not going to tell him. it's better that he lives in ignorant bliss during his senile years, which appear to be setting in at age 52.

wait. that reminds me. this is actually a very sad anecdote. my parents have an ongoing argument about how they got engaged. my mom says he never proposed, and my dad says he sang her a song on his guitar when he proposed. did he create that memory too?

more importantly, is this hereditary? how can i be sure of anything anymore.

No comments: