Saturday, May 8, 2010

conversation with a 92 year old.

called my grandma for her 92nd birthday.

she's a champ.

what you should know is this set of grandparents thinks we're related to alexander hamilton. we are not. my sister found out this week on ancestry.com or something. we're not telling them. they've claimed that heritage for their whole 70-year marraige. they send me letters with ten dollar bills, and call them "grandpa hamiltons." they bring it up...OFTEN. and his name has been inserted into our family tree without any connection to anyone around him.

snippets:

me: isn't it your birthday today?
grandma: yes it is! i'm 92!
me: i know! how are you feeling?
grandma: like a million dollars.
grandpa: ALLISON?
grandma: not so loud!
grandpa: i just need to ask her one thing.
me: hey grandpa!! how are you?
grandpa: say, have i ever given you a copy of the family tree?
me: you have not.
grandpa: ok. i'm going to give you one when you come to visit us, if you want one.
me: i would love a copy of the family tree.
grandma: have we ever told you who is on our family tree? tell her grandpa.
grandpa: well, it's alexander hamilton.
me: really.
grandpa: yes, he's on the ten dollar bill.
me: how about that.

----

grandma: well our adopted family on this street has the cutest little baby girl. they bring her over every now and then.
me: oh yeah? what's her name?
grandma: hmm. let me think. grandpa do you know?
grandpa: no. it's been 2 weeks. i can't remember that long.
grandma: she has the prettiest blue eyes, though.

----

me: how have you been feeling lately?
grandma: well i'm still cancer-free. i'm not a very swift walker anymore, though.
me: well, i think that's ok.
grandma: do you hear that?
me: hear what.
grandma: that's our clock chiming. it chimes every hour.
me:...cool.


---

grandma: when you come to visit, you need to take something with you.
me: what am i taking?
grandma: you just need to have a look around our house and take something. nobody ever takes anything home with them.

FALSE. check out this gem i swiped a few years ago.



now that i have her permission, i'm going to find something equally horrifying and strange to bring back with me next time. maybe a ceramic clown.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i LOVE the stories about the hamilton grandparents. i laugh every time.

CP said...

that is awesome. with ya on the statue thing- i kept the oddest things from my grandparents when they died a few years ago.