Wednesday, November 18, 2009

you and i, both.

today was a series of strange happenings.

i woke up at 6am. normal. my toilet was running. so i had to turn the water off. i was glad that at some point in my life i learned to do that. it was not weird to have a running toilet, and it was not weird to turn the water off. and it was not even weird to be thankful that i knew to do so. it was weird to be aware at 6am that i was glad to know to turn the water off. i'm not usually aware of anything at 6am.

continuing my day...

for the past few mornings i have left for work, and been stricken with panic halfway through my drive. "did i lock the door? i don't remember locking the door. i don't think i locked the door." but it's too late to turn back at that point. i get so used to my routines that i don't remember going through them. so this morning, continuing with the weirdness, i had enough presence of mind to tell myself "you are locking the door. you are locking the door. you are locking the door."

then i realized i forgot my cell phone, which i never do, so i had to go back in and get it. and lock my door again. "you are locking the door again. you are locking the door again."

weird.

i went to hear tim keller speak.

not weird.

but i went there straight from work, so i got there way early. so i brought a book and a flashlight. i don't know why i didn't just go in way early, but i actually thought ahead to bring a flashlight. and a book. beowulf. so i read beowulf in my car, with a flashlight.

weird.

also weird: i strategically picked my parking spot so that i'd be one of the first to exit. a few minutes after i pulled in, they blocked off my section of the parking lot so no one else could get in. they wanted to fill the back section up first. so i sat there, feeling like a criminal, in the middle of an empty parking lot, reading beowulf with a flashlight.

i went in eventually, blah blah. one of the first sentences out of his mouth was "to use augustinian language..."

and my immediate thought was "oh my gosh. i love being here right now."

and then...

"don't forget to go to the bathroom here before you leave. your toilet is running."

weird day.

No comments: